Monday, 10 October 2011

My Final Personal Narrative- Q1


Name: Anisha Nilakantan                                                   Date: September 31, 2011
Walt: Writing a Personal Narrative
Let Me Out!
Chills sled down my spine as the metal gates opened. As I dashed to my seat, I tried to rid my mind of the eerie, rough walls with intestine-like objects slipping in and out. Plopping down into a red, V-like seat, a glimpse of Krishna, my BFF who lives in India, catches my eye. Travelling to an old home must make her heart crave for it back, but one could never tell that was what she was feeling. Here she was now, in Battlestar Galactica: Cylon, the most vast duo roller-coaster in the world. Also, it was her very first time in Singapore’s Universal Studios. Achieving that, though, was nothing to why I had turned my furrowed eyebrows into a solid face. Loops had never been a favourite of mind, yet I was in this very seat, in this very ride, right now.    
Gazing ahead, twists and turns of red and blue tracks loom above and scrape the ground, forcing a pit in my stomach. As if Krishna were telepathic, she halts to a stop with the bouncing.
“It’s all right. Look. Here I am, without over seeing this part of the world before. You’ll be fine.” The soothing sound of Krishna’s voice puts a steadier beat to my heart. Grinning, I glance down the three seats to my left. Three seats! Peeking to my right, the only objects were shoes. Krishna had settled me before, but now my heart sprinted as though a pack of wolves were chasing it. My eyes frantically search for no reason, and finally it rests upon the blue track I was going on of Battlestar Galactica.
Facing me, a wicked, fearsome loop feeds on the popping eyes of the risk- taking girl it sights. As I started to hyperventilate, my hands leaped from my lap and landed on my X-shaped safety buckle. Scrunching my eyes like I was swimming in a pool without goggles, a hand squishes my chocolate arm, hard.
“Snap out of it. It will be fine.” Purposefully ostracizing Krishna’s words of wisdom was the worst mistake possible right then, yet it was done. Desperately flicking my head of unruly black hair, for no apparent reason, forced the eyes beneath my contacts to see horribleness. My beady eyes noticed the grid. Creeping up the roller-coaster, the metal grid seems a sliver away from the tracks. Will my freakishly long legs get scraped? Coughing, laughing, and crying I tug and tug at the pad across me. As though Krishna and the safety page were on for not letting me flee, the pad wouldn’t budge.
            Just beyond the grid finds the way to the corner of my eye. A 40 meter drop! Vivid images of previous rides form in my head. Kids and adults screaming their heads off continuously on the blue swerving fixes my hand to the safety pad. Hollering throughout the 1 min. 30 sec. ride sends me goosebumps the size of Mount Everest. Believe. Don’t back down. The words echo at the back of my mind.
          “That’s it! No way! I just managed Human, and I am so not ready for Cylon. I qui-“ Halfway through my sentence, the floor below me sinks as though it was in quick sand. Gradually descending like a princess, the floor symbolizes something, but what? To know what’s happening beforehand is a lot more comforting than to find out right then. Krishna’s face sold me a hint. A light, cheery grin was spread across her face, excitement shining like diamonds in her eyes. Sharply revolving to the right, I spy the roller-coaster engines starting up. Before Cylon had even started, I screeched like how a car might sound when it suddenly breaks. As my cart set out to its voyage, I knew what was in for me. I was doomed.
The silky breeze flying through my hair quickly halts to a stop. Applause arises from the crowd around. As I breathe in the moment of survival, a litany of golden laughs sparkle in my deep brown eyes. Feeling like a queen, I shooed away my greatest enemy who had followed me, never letting me go, these past 10 years. The enemy which had surrounded me during the dark minutes before Cylon had started, and the enemy I fell weak from. I was still strapped to a seat, but my heart told different. This feeling told me I was free. A heart of cowardliness was no more. Nothing could ever get me again, not after I had concurred heights of 14 stories and loops that twist and turn in one day. Nothing could ever get me again because I had flourished into a new person. Nothing could ever get me again because that was the past, and this was the present.
           
 huh

1 comment:

Please use this blog to comment on ONLY 'academic' matters or to answer a classmate's academic questions. You must leave your name if you comment. NO SOCIAL NETWORKING ALLOWED on this blog. Thank you. Anisha Nilakantan.