Thursday, 20 October 2011

October Reading Letter- J.K. Rowling: The Wizard Behind Harry Potter

Tuesday, October 18th, 2011

    Marc Shapiro's biography J.K. Rowling: The Wizard Behind Harry Potter is so far entrancing; even more, it tests and expands my vocabulary. Reading the novel, a sentence caught my eye: The normally shy woman was now being deluged with requests for interviews and her picture was appearing in newspapers and magazines. Using the sentence, I decoded "deluged", an unfamiliar word to me, and decided it was a verb. Using context clues, I decided "deluged" meant "full of". When I read the sentence with "full of' instead of "deluged", it made sense, so I knew "full of" was close to what "deluged" meant!
     When I tried to make connections, the connections I made usually lead to another idea that helps me understand the book. For example, as the book read that Joanne was a shy woman, I related this to the Joanne I saw on TV. The same person was totally different! This difference reminded me of the little girl Mr. Buxton told our class, the girl who stood up to eighth graders. Connecting these two people caused me to realize that pretending to be someone your not can help you be bold and strong. Another chain connection was born when I came across the quote by Joanne that states she was gazing at cows when she was struck by the idea of Harry Pottter. Joanne Kathleen Rowling claims she doesn't know why the idea occurred at that moment, but I might know why. Perhaps she was thinking of a calf who didn't know what he was, and then thought of a wizard doing the same thing, as wizards are what she loved to pretend to be  when she was younger.
     J.K.'s life was a little confusing for me, so I have alot of questions. So far, Joanne's books were doing marvelous, so publishers drew up a contract so that Joanne would write a total of 7 books. Why should the contract say a total  of 7 books, why not at least seven books? Joanne should be able to write as much as she wants. Stumped, I though about this question, and decided on an answer (also based on a connection!). Perhaps if a series goes on for too long, readers will lose interest in the series. Lemony Snicket's The Series of Unfortunate Events has 13 books in total, and I bet if I read the whole series, I would be tired of it really soon!
     I look forward to finishing this book, as it challenges my thinking and is a new genre.
     From,
          Anisha

5 comments:

  1. Really deep thinking anisha! good work. You obviosly have been working on this for quite a long time and used a lot of effort to do this

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you used eevidince from the book to anser your questions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. very good Anisha you had alot of quistions and you got off topic once but its really good

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just to let you know, Rohan, I actually just did it from the top of my head. I am not sure if I even re-read it!

    ReplyDelete

Please use this blog to comment on ONLY 'academic' matters or to answer a classmate's academic questions. You must leave your name if you comment. NO SOCIAL NETWORKING ALLOWED on this blog. Thank you. Anisha Nilakantan.